Friday, July 29, 2011

St. Cloud Trip Recollections

We had a fabulous time in St.Cloud this week!!  I enjoyed seeing all of my coworkers and friends at work on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Did you ever do something and think "I will get back to that" and then forget?  I brought in dilly bars on Wednesday afternoon and dropped one off at a co-workers desk and thought, I will check back before I go to my meeting and put that in the fridge in case she is not back.  Yeah, right!  When I got back to her desk several hours later, she had not been there and the dilly bar was an ice cream puddle on her desk!  Luckily, it did not run out of the bag when I threw it out...guess I better write myself a note next time!!

We got to hang out with Haley for dinner on Tuesday night and tour the "House of Ten" which is what I call her rental house as she is living with 9 other students near SCSU.  I had toured before but Bill had not seen the house.  Other than a few beer bottles (did you really expect me to skip mentioning that, Haley?), the house is very nice! 

We had dinner with Matt and Diana (son and his girlfriend) on Wednesday at the House of Pizza.  This is one of our favorite restaurants so it was great to eat there and have time to talk with the kids!  Afterwards,we went to listen to Transit Authority at Lake George.  Luckily, it had cooled off a little and it wasn't miserable at the park.  We ran into a bunch of friends from church and a couple stopped over after the concert.  Really nice chance to catch up with them!

We stayed in town on Thursday and finished up shopping for the inner city kids retreats that start at the resort on August 8th.  Boy, that is a lot of pop tarts, cereal, spaghetti, etc! 

We also were able to go to the Salvation Army and volunteer again!! We have so missed doing this and it was wonderful to see all of the friends that we have made there.  Bill really enjoyed getting back into the large batch cooking mode and did a great job (of course!) on jambalya.  I tried my hand at using a couple of bundt cake mixes (not in a bundt pan) but they were a little thin and the oven was a little hot so they were crispy on the edges and gooey in the middle but, what the heck, they were still chocolate with peanuts and chocolate chips in them!  It might also have helped that we served them with mint fudge ice cream...added a nice touch.  The food shelf is VERY LOW on supplies so anything that any of you can do to support them at this time would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.  Drop off any extra produce that you have from your garden or pick up some food basics when you are shopping and drop them off or send them a check to support this very valuable service to our community.  Okay, I will get off my soapbox now...but our passions do lie with meeting the basic food and housing needs of our community.

We are now back up in the great northwoods and transitioning back into remote work and resort mode.  We are planing a dinner out tonight as Bill got his colonoscopy lab results with NO CANCER!!  Praise and Thank You to God!  In addition, K has all restrictions lifted so she can try doing more around the resort and she is very excited about this and we are hoping that she can join us for the celebration dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment