Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Back to work...

We enjoyed our time with the family at Leech Lake. The guys went back out fishing on Monday evening but did not have any luck as it was still pretty darn windy.  I did enjoy Pam's attempt to bring some natural flowers into the cabin:
Here are the two most common pictures when my family gets together.  We are generally either playing cards or reading and talking smart:


We frequently joke about being the "Culhanes" for those of you old enough to remember Hee Haw!!

My mom brought Bill this great old cookbook called the The Outdoor Cook's Bible.  It contained recipes for opossum, muskrat, woodchuck, raccoon, bear, etc. and we enjoyed many laughs over this book!

Yesterday morning, the guys headed over to the west side of Leech Lake (with a picnic lunch packed by their loving wives!) to see if it was any calmer and the fish were biting.  They had some luck with the weather but not such good luck with the fishing.  The "girls" laid out by the pool and read in the morning and watched Sweet Home Alabama in the afternoon. 

We headed back about 4:00 as we started a new bible study group at the resort last night.  We had our "get to know each other and pick a topic" meeting last night and we had nine participants from the surrounding community.  We have decided to do an eight week study on spiritual gifts and we are looking forward to getting to know some of the local people better.

Today was cold and rainy so I worked on catching up on work emails until late afternoon.  Then we headed over to the resort to get 2 cabins ready as we have all 7 cabins rented this weekend...that is a good thing!!  We also had a resort fish fry potluck tonight.  The resort guests provided fish and a side dish and K fried up all of the fish.  We had deviled eggs, pasta salad, mashed potatoes, chips, watermelon, and brownies.  It was a very nice meal and a great time to get to know the resort guests better. 

One last note, last night we saw a turtle digging in to lay its eggs so we decided to try to find them tonight to dig up as one of the young guests was very curious about the turtle eggs.  I was sure that I would be able to tell where the turtle was digging but I was amazed that I could absolutely not tell.  The ground was hard packed and no bare spots in the pine needles, etc.  I was amazed by this and hope to have the opportunity again as I will take pics and mark where the turtle is so wish me luck as I would love to post pics of the turtle as it digs and the eggs.  I would, of course, cover up the eggs again and try to mark a calendar for when they might hatch.  I have heard that they hatch at like 3 am so I may just have to consider some late night trips to the resort around turtle hatching time.  There is also an educational program on turtles at the Cut Foot Sioux Center near here and I just may have to take a day trip over and check it out!  And this concludes your nature lesson for the day!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Linda, The turtles are busy here too. There were two laying eggs on the side of our driveway this morning and one laying again tonight. I saw two on the side of the road coming home from work earlier today too. Last week I saw a bear cross the road which was really cool. Mazy, our golden retriever met nature in a real personal manner-I pulled about 75 quills from her nose and side at 6:30 in the morning one day last week!! Joys of the north woods! Listening to the loons and the wind in the pines makes it all worth it...
    Have a good week. Julie

    ReplyDelete