Saturday, June 4, 2011

Fish Fry...Yum, Yum!!

Chelsey took this picture of the "widow maker" tree before we headed out on Friday.  We are hoping to get this cut down tomorrow with some help.  Right under this tree is where my car is usually parked!
The little building that you see in the background of is pic our outhouse.  :-)  Some day soon I will take some pics of the cabin and bunkhouse/office and post those also!!

Bill, Chelsey, and I just bummed around on Friday and it was a fun day!  We didn't leave for Bemidji until after 10:30 and then we had to stop at every rummage sale along the way.  No super deals but it was fun to look.  We finally got into Bemiji about 1:00 and stopped to grab a pasty at Pasties Plus.  Chelsey had never had pasty but she found out how good they are.  I could not find a website for them but here is a review:  http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-24354203R-pasties_plus-i.  While the pasties are not necessarily healthy, they are very good covered with gravy!  Of course, I am working on getting Bill to figure out how to make them!

We also stopped at the "Old Central School" which is a really cool old school that has been converted to shops and exhibits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LJTeVZMjrM).  There is a great quilt shop, a stained glass shop (my favorite), a mercantile and exhibits from the historical society.  Of course, there is an exhibit on Judy Garland and we did drive by her house as we were meandering around.

Next stop was the Three Bears Chocolate Shop (http://www.visitgrandrapids.com/shopping/three-bears-candy.html) ...oh, yes, I got to satisfy my chocolate cravings as the only chocolate I have eaten in weeks is Tootsie Rolls (which are very good but just not the same as "real chocolate").  We tried several different pieces including chocolate covered potato chips as Chelsey had never tried those.  I would recommend this as a stop if you are ever in Grand Rapids!

We hit a couple of other stores and then got a call that Evan had finished his day in Hibbing early as they had class right through lunch.  Needless to say, he was starving so we met him at El Potro Mexican Restaurant.  We have eaten there before and they have very good Mexican food.  Bill, Chelsey and I were not really very hungry after a late lunch but we still enjoyed having dinner together.  Then it was time to say good bye to Chelsey and Evan as they were heading down Hwy 169 to the cities.  We enjoyed our time with them and look forward to having them come up again hopefully in the fall.

Bill and I did dishes and cleaned our cabin this morning.  I have to say that it is nice cleaning a space this small...it sure cleans up fast!  Dishes take a little longer but we hope to have running within a week or so if all goes well with the water project this week. 

Finally, I am getting to the story that goes with title of this blog...I know, it is about time, right? :-)  We had a fish fry for supper tonight.  It was the perch that Bill, Chelsey, and Evan caught on Thursday.  Bill breaded them in ShoreLunch and fried them in a cast iron pan.   We had some of Bill's Baked Beans and fresh corn bread and it was all AWESOME.  Wow...I had forgotten how great fresh fish is!!  Sorry to Chelsey and Evan that you couldn't stick around to have some but I did eat some extra pieces for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment