Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Laurentian Divide, Dragon Flies, Turtles and various other topics!

Wow...it has been a while since I have done an update so I have lots of topics for today!

I am happy to report that Bill and D were able to drop the widow maker tree without anyone getting hurt.  We just about pulled the bumper off of our truck and had to switch to D's truck so it was sturdier than we first thought.  Here are pics of Bill splitting some of the bigger pieces of wood:



I recently found out that Dora Lake resides on the Laurentian Divide.  My question was "what the heck is the Laurentian Divide"??  According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurentian_Divide), this is where the flow of water splits.  This is why one river flows south and one river flows north out of Dora Lake.  Supposedly they teach about continental divides in meteorology school as this impacts weather patterns.  Not sure if this is related, but we have had hail 3 times since we moved up 5 weeks ago??   For your geography lesson of the day, here are the various continental divides in North America.




It was interesting to watch the dragon flies hatch this week.  There are whole swarms of them but I have to say that I love them since they do not bite and they certainly eat a lot of mosquitoes.  There have not been any mosquitoes at the resort but there were clouds of dragon flies that I wish I could have caught on camera but they are too small to show up well in pics.  The other interesting natural phenomena is have the turtles come out of the lakes to lay eggs.  K says that there is one turtle that lays eggs in front of the garage door every year and she moves them every year so I am hoping that hasn't happened before we get back tomorrow!  We dodged quite a few turtles on the roads coming down and I anticipate it will be the same on the way up.

Speaking of coming down to St. Cloud, it was about 75 degrees degrees when we left early yesterday afternoon.  We were finally able to pick up a Brainerd radio station and when they announced it was 99 degrees in Little Falls, Bill and I both turned to each other and said, "Did we just hear that right???"  It was rather shocking to experience the hot weather here.  The first order of business when we got home was to turn on the air conditioner.  We then picked up Minnow and went out to eat and shopping to give the house time to cool down.  Here are pics of Minnow (since I am shamelessly proud grandma!) including one with veggies all over her face after eating!



It was great to see everyone at work today as I do miss my friends there!  Had a nice supper with Haley and got to see the house where she moved in.  I have to say that it is very nice for a college house but I still think it will be challenging for 10 people to get along for a year...there should be some interesting drama stories from there to share?  I also have to say that I was impressed with how clean they left "Haley Hotel" (which was the nickname for our house while Haley and friends were residing there).  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment