Saturday, May 21, 2011

Leeches, Mosquitoes and coming home to St. Cloud

The bait man comes to the resort every Thursday to deliver minnows, nightcrawlers, and leeches.  I can deal with minnows and nightcrawlers but I do not like leeches.  And, of course, that is the one kind of bait that you actually have to handle and package!  K patiently explained the difference between a blood sucker and a leech...who knew they weren't the same thing??  Anyway, a blood sucker supposedly sucks/bites at the end with the sucker and a leech supposedly sucks at one end and eats/bites at the other.  This means that leeches can attach to you but will not be biting you.  Personally, I have not had time to Google and verify if this was accurate.  Anyway, the leeches come in a 1 pound bag and have to be separated into a dozen in each container.  I quickly volunteered to pour water over them after K separated and counted them.  I have put leeches on my hook a couple of times when fishing but it has never been an enjoyable event.  Maybe I will feel differently about them by the end of the summer but I wouldn't take any bets on this!

The mosquitoes have also arrived up north.  The first mosquitoes of the summer are always the size of hummingbirds...okay, maybe not quite that big but they are the biggest ones that we see all summer.  The only good thing about them being that big is that they are slower than the smaller ones so they are a little easier to slap!  We tried fishing off the dock on Friday night but we felt like we were going to be carried away by the mosquitoes so needless to say we didn't catch any fish.

I got to talk to Dominic (my oldest daughter, Angie's, stepson) as he called to say thank you for his recent birthday money.  He had great stores about how his friend who moved away got to come to the party, how he found out that birthday candles are not edible, that he had 3 kinds of birthday cake (and liked the oreo one best!) and how he is saving his money for a Play Station 3.  I also got an update on my youngest grandchild, Deven, who has 2 teeth, is jabbering, and is starting to get up on his hands and knees.  When we got back to St. Cloud, Macy dropped of Minnow (AKA Ja'Leyah) so it has been a great grandchild day!!

Since Haley had 2 friends move in with her in our house a week ago, we were a little nervous to come home and we gave them fair warning that we were on our way.  I have to say that other than a sticky kitchen floor and some nail polish on the tile floor, they did a good job cleaning up the house!  It was a pleasant surprise that they were able to clean up so well after a "small dinner party" which I have a funny feeling went much later than dinner!  No complaints from the neighbors so that is good news.

We were out talking with one of our neighbors when another one brought over this wonderful rhubarb dessert for everyone to share.  I have to say that I miss those impromptu neighborly get togethers up north!  It is not quite the same when your nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile down the road rather than across the lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment